Recently we have been trying out a diet called the paleo diet. The idea is to eat what cavemen ate, for us we took that to mean eating real food with no carbs coming from grains. However growing up with carbs such as rice and noodles, one does miss the occasional carb side dish. Can you have the best of both worlds?
Yes you can! Inspiration for cauliflower rice came from a recipe from nom nom paleo. She has a bunch of really good recipes and helped us come up with yummy dishes while we explore the paleo diet. We took her easy to follow recipe and jazzed it up a bit.
He says: Grating the cauliflower was a bit tedious but satisfying when you realize that after 5-10mins you have rice ready to eat! Fried rice was one of the first dishes I learnt how to make from my mother. Making this dish was definitely brought back good memories and delicious too! If you make too much rice, you can always freeze it and use it another day.
She says: I was a bit skeptical at first. He was grating cauliflower and the kitchen had a strong smell, cauliflower does that. You can neutralize the smell with a bit of vinegar. He surprised me and our friends because the texture was very similar rice, slightly different but close enough.
- One cauliflower
- 4-5 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- Grate the cauliflower into “grains” of rice
- Prepare the egg by whisking it in a small bowl. This will make pouring it into the “rice” easier later.
- Chop the onions into small cubes
- Slice the bacon into small strips and place them into a pan. Cook until brown and remove the bacon and place onto a plate lined with paper towel.
- Using the fat from the pan, place the onions into the pan for a minute.
- Place the cauliflower in the pan and let it brown slightly
- Once slightly brown, place the bacon back in with the fish sauce and mix everything around.
- Add the kimchi and a bit of the kimchi juice into the rice for another minute.
The kimchi cauliflower rice was not our first attempt. Here is a picture of our first attempt at making cauliflower rice, simple shredded five spice chicken with egg cauliflower rice.